Our History

Kiwanis Club of Bainbridge Island was founded in 1958.

Kiwanis International was founded January 21, 1915, in Detroit, Michigan, by Allen Simpson Browne, a Moose lodge organizer, and Joseph G. Prance, a tailor. Kiwanis is an organization devoted to the principle of service; to the advancement of individual, community, and national welfare; and to the strengthening of international goodwill. Kiwanis spans the globe, with more than 300,000 members, giving on average $70 million and 6.5 million volunteer hours for community service each year.

The first organizational meeting of the Kiwanis Club of Bainbridge Island was held on June 3, 1958 at the Martinique Restaurant in Winslow. Present from Bainbridge Island were Lou Goller, George Thompson, Walt Woodward, Sam Clarke, Tom Dean and Ed Ulloa, along with Steve Selak and Chuck Reynolds from the Downtown Seattle Kiwanis Club, which was to be the sponsor of the new club. Lou Goller was elected President pro-tem.

Another organizational meeting was held on July 8, 1958 at the Coffee Shop Restaurant in Winslow. In attendance at this meeting was Ambrose Richards, a Kiwanian since 1919 who was a charter member of the Seattle Club. He advised that members "pull together and stick together." It was mentioned by Walt Woodward and seconded by Sam Clarke that the membership fee be set at $10 per member, and that annual dues be established at $24.

The first meeting of the Board of Directors was held July 15, 1958 with Lou Goller as President. First Vice President was Gordon Herron, Second Vice President was Sam Clarke, Treasurer was Tom Dean, and Secretary Ed Ulloa. The official charter date of the Kiwanis Club of Bainbridge Island is July 15, 1958.